Wednesday, September 12, 2012

(Hopefully) The Only Thing Chris Brown Will Ever Have In Common With Me, My Grandmother & My Kids


“I really want a tattoo but don’t know what to get” is one of the more ridiculous things I have ever heard come out of someone’s mouth.  If you are about to permanently mark your body, shouldn’t you be pretty darn passionate about the addition?

I find it highly unlikely that Chris Brown expressed similar doubt before recently inking this:


Unfortunately, though not admittedly, his inspiration is a work with which he is all too familiar.


Honestly, I am fascinated by tattoo culture.  I love to hear the meaningful story of their significance, or at least pray there is one, and am intrigued by the science of choosing one body part over another.  I believe tattoos can be more reflective of personality, spirituality and aura than most verbal communication, especially for this chick.


And, I put my money where my mouth is.  I have four, but you’d never know it.  I got the first when I was 18 and it’s a nickname my father called me every day until our last together.  The second and third are each the union of one initial and an object, one for each of my daughters.  The fourth (and likely not final) is an expression of love for my family.

I have never regretted them for a moment, although I have wondered if I will someday look like this woman:


Where hippy turns a bit hypocrite, though, is when I wonder how I will react if either of my girls ever asks for one.  Like many of the obstacles I know I’ll face in the years of parenting to come, I hope to keep my heart fully open, and my eyes in a precautionary but open-minded squint. 

I am practicing it now, as I type in a Google search for “the future of ouch-less tattoo removal”.