Friday, January 25, 2013

Robin Roberts Is Making Television History (And I Did Once Too)

Just yesterday Robin Roberts returned to the set of Good Morning America for the first time since her late August departure for bone marrow transplant surgery.  The visit was completely off camera, and really a test to see how Robin felt being back in the saddle.  I sure hope she had a good ride.

I had a mix of reactions to hearing about the return, ranging from anger that she may put her recovery at risk by over-extending herself to wanting to give her a high five.  I have settled somewhere in the middle.  I relate to her battle, commend her strength and admire her passion.

While I have never endured a physical challenge as great as Robin is right now, during our own time of difficulty, even the smaller trials can seem exhausting.  I like to think that I no longer face challenges in the work place because I am a woman, but I am also the mother of two (ridiculously awesome) small children.  That in itself requires perseverance.  And while I'd like to consider myself in perfect health, my mother, siblings and medicine cabinet are a constant reminder that I live with Lupus.

In short, I give huge props to Robin Roberts.  I know what it means to enjoy what you do so much that leaving it would be to compromise not only what you love but who you are.

Some say to love something is to let it go... but sometimes love is using every bit of strength you have to hold on, and become a better person for it.

Reading about Robin reminded me of my very first blog entry, about going into labor on the set of The Bachelorette.  Seeing as Monday was a holiday, today still feels to me like "Throwback Thursday".  So, here it is.

Any fan of The Bachelor or The Bachelorette knows how exciting each season premiere episode can be.  Up to 30 sexy singles gather to vie for the affection of America’s current heartthrob (or sweet heart).  The mansion is filled with glamorous people, shimmering lights, chilled drinks, an infinite amount of hope… and Chris Harrison.  But that's just what you see on camera.

Click here to finish reading "Lights, Camera, Labor".