Thursday, October 17, 2013

Here's What Happened When My 5yo Watched Miley Cyrus's "Wrecking Ball"


My 5-1/2-year-old daughter busted me watching the "Wrecking Ball" video by Miley Cyrus and while I am not proud of my behavior, I am not ashamed of it, either. Surely, had the images been of a more sexual, frighteningly graphic or violent nature, I would have slammed the computer shut to shield her. And though I realize that I may be setting myself up for criticism for letting her watch, I feel strongly about striking a balance between protecting my children and being realistic about the world in which they are growing like weeds. So, as she watched, I asked her what she was thinking. She had some pretty hilarious commentary.

"Oh, she's pretty! Her teeth are so white.  She must brush a lot."



"That's gross... Why is she licking it?"



"She needs a *bra-n." (* her word for bra)



"That's not a real swing!  When the wall grows again, and she hits it, she's gonna get hurt!"



"Why does she have pictures on her? She must be strong. Boys who are strong have pictures on them. Daddy is strong. He needs pictures."



"I don't know why she's naked, but maybe she has shoes on so she doesn't get a splinter."



"She's crying! Maybe she got a bit hurt on the wrecking ball."



"Now she's hitting herself. She is upset because she was wrecking the walls. She made a biiiiig mess."



"She got killed! She got killed!"


I can't say I won't watch Miley again (and again), but as far as my daughter is concerned, I'll let this video rest in peace.